Wednesday, May 27, 2020

DFI Session 3 Thursday 21st May 2020


This session was great. Lots of new tips and tricks to use in the classroom and for myself personally. Google slides would be great when planning out weekly activities/tasks and sites for students. I found using Google slides for more than just presenting information was awesome and I was able to use this in the classroom this week. Students were engaged and enjoyed the activity where they explored making animations. I found that there were so many options on google slides that they were able to be creative.

New Tips I learnt: 

  • Google slides - use consistent formatting, use blank slides and embrace your own swag. 
  • Let the slides be supporting the cast of your talk. 
  • Plan slides to present. 
  • Use sticky notes to plan your slides. 
  • Use slides to enable access for learners e.g the slide on our Class Site. 
  • You can just change the slide instead of going to change your site. Put the most recent slide to the top of the presentation for students to see first. 

  • Slides - to create
  • Comic strip to create dialogue
  • Maths pick apart for place value




Youtube: 

I hadn't used much of Youtube in the past so Youtube Playlist is great as it sets up students with all the videos needed instead of having students roaming Youtube. I was able to add a new playlist to my class site under "Art" and will use this as an extension or early finishers activity for when sketching.  Youtube live stream is interesting - a little bit risky but could be great for watching things in real-time. Some ideas for live streaming could be virtual field trips or science experiments. Youtube playlists are great for saving videos into different categories for either me or students to share at a later date. I'm able to collect videos for different topics/learning areas and it would be easy for me to refer back to instead of searching and filtering through the videos all the time.



Google Drawing:

Using Google drawings to create buttons is great. I can see myself using this a lot and being very creative with it making the buttons interactive and spicing up my class site. I learnt that there is a whole lot more to Google drawing than what I know and it's going to be great exploring this platform further.



4 comments:

  1. Kia ora Liz. I love the animation. I was not expecting Harry to pop up. I really enjoyed the session on slides too. When planning a staff meeting this week I was constantly thinking of Dorothy's messages. The buttons are great. I'm excited to see how your site develops as you use slides more in your planning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't expecting Harry either, hilarious. Yeah my site is kind of looking a bit mis-match at the moment lol Thanks Phil!

      Delete
  2. Liz,
    Glad you were able to take something away from this session and apply it directly to your classroom. Both your slide and your Google Draw looks amazing. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids are having lots of fun with it! :D Thanks Venessa!

      Delete