Wednesday, May 13, 2020

DFI Session 2 - Thursday 14th May 2020



Our session today was great. I was able to understand more about the power of Learn Create Share, specifically "Share" and how important it is in empowering students. The Google meets activity was a great task to show how students feel when given an instruction and then sharing it by recording. When discussing this with my chosen partner we mentioned how nerve-racking it can be & how we could feel quite anxious when sharing our learning. This is exactly how students feel and at times I feel that as a teacher, I forget those feelings some learners go through and wonder how it could be hard for some who lack the confidence to do a task like this. This made me realise that I need to continue to soften my approach and give more encouragement to those who need it. We also realised that when the task was done, we felt like we had achieved something and that feeling of relief, accomplishment and empowerment soon followed after.

   

New tips and trick 

I learnt some great tricks in using google meets. There are many ways I could use this for my own personal and professional use. Keeping informational notes about students, reminders throughout the day or even a shopping list would be handy. The text grab option from an image is great and I'll probably use that extract text from books, magazines etc. My Chrome windows and email inbox is looking more organised. I've learnt how to turn bookmarks into Icons without the extra writing. I've organised my emails into different folders/labels and things are starting to feel much better to navigate through. 



Google Keep - Notes and ListsUse Google Keep to collect and digitize quotes from print books





2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Liz. I'm glad you got a lot out of this session. I remember feeling exactly the same with Google Meet. It is certainly a balancing act between being empathetic with our more reluctant sharers but still pushing them to step out of their comfort zones. I love Google Keep! I use the voice capture to make notes as I move between classes and schools. Keep up the great work (little pun there!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz,
    Thank you for sharing your takings from the day. It can be overwhelming stepping out of our comfort zones, but you did a fab job!
    I feel that I have always underrated Google Keep! Everytime I hear the same korero about Keep, I want to use it more and more! It's great that you have shared some ideas about how you can use to support your workflow. Can you think of some ways it can be used with your students?

    ReplyDelete