Sunday, May 10, 2020

DFI Session 1 Thursday 7th May 2020






The first Digital Fluency Learning session was a great insight into Manaiakalani, their model and purpose. The online community gives students an amazingly authentic and real-life audience. It's great to see a community of schools come together with a future-focused goal for our learners. I managed to pick up some great tips and tricks today that I could use to make online learning navigation easier and more efficient. Some things I learnt during the session:



  • Copy and paste without formatting gets rid of underlying codes 
  • Underling words in google docs is actually a showing it's a hyperlink 
  • Voice typing
  • Creating a table of contents tool to navigate through a document 
  • remove.bg - removing the background of an image 


These tips I could share with my students to make learning a bit more clearer and easier. For example having many ESOL students in my class I feel that voice typing would help greatly to encourage speaking aloud, this is one tool I will try once we get back into the classroom. I have also learned that it is important that teachers and students learn the same skills and use learning as we go and continue to keep up and build on the knowledge that I already have. I need to provide more opportunities for students to use these skills on a regular basis and not just a one-off session. 



We created a poster using google docs and a table. Using a table makes everything align neatly and prevents images and text from moving around this will be useful to me when creating docs for my students. I have also found colour coding and ordering my folders in google docs has been great for me personally to organise my work. 

1 comment:

  1. Ka pai Liz, it sounds like you got a lot out of your first DFI session. I've always thought voice typing is generally underused. Every class I've taught has had at least a few students who use it regularly and it has really changed their outlook on writing. Good luck for the rest of the course!

    ReplyDelete